It doesn’t get much more American than a fresh baked cherry pie just in time for the 4th of July. Keep reading for our favorite cherry pie recipe.
All-American Cherry Pie
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries (use fresh cherries)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place bottom crust in pie pan. Set top crust aside, covered.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries, and extracts. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top.
- Place pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool for several hours before slicing.